Friday, November 5, 2010

The Life of Pie

You know our readers will be clamoring for it.

Purity Pastry (from the Purity Flour Cookbook)

Yield: One 9" double crust pie or two 9" pie shells or 12-14 medium sized
tart shells or 24 small tart shells or 48 REALLY small tart shells or 96
minuscule tart shells or....well, you get the picture.

Blend or sift together:

  2 cups all-purpose flour
  1 teaspoon salt

Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in

  3/4 cup shortening

Sprinkle with

  4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

Add the water one tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork until
all the flour is dampened. Turn dough onto a piece of waxed paper and
form into a ball. Chill if desired.

Bake as directed for the filling recipe. For a baked pie shell, prick
with a fork at 1" intervals (the crust, not you) and bake in a 450 F
oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

11 comments:

  1. Mrs. Pinkerton's eldestNovember 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM

    Lovely flutes on that pie, Mrs. Beazly. What's your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Place two fingers a finger-width apart and pull up on the pastry edge between them. Just like our Ma taught me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like our ma taught US.

    (How can you tell I did not make enough pie whilst the eldest Miss Pinkerton was still at home?) Mea culpa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never too late to learn how to make pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Pinkerton's eldestNovember 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM

    My Ma taught you? Her fluting failed on the last pie I watched her make. I guess I haven't seen her make enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You pied who in the what now? I'm getting confused. My Ma (your grandma, Miss P. the Eldest) taught me how to flute the pie crust. Everything I know about making pie I learned from Mom, except for the pastry recipe. That comes from the Purity Cookbook which Aunt F. in Kingston was so kind as to give to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, eldest Miss Pinkerton. When Mrs. Beazly says "Ma" she is talking about HER ma, not yourn. And I know my fluting failed. You needn't broadcast it to all three of our readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgo to welcome the eldest Miss P. to our blog. Congratulations on increasing our readership by 20%!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My apologies for the confusion, Mrs. B. I thought you said "your Ma" not "our Ma." Apparently I can not only not make flutes but I can't read either.

    And I also apologize, Mrs. Pinkerton, for flaunting your failed fluting all over your blog. You can donate my free pie to charity for penance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No harm done, Eldest Miss P. I skimmed over the name above your first comment so quickly that I thought you were your Ma - that's why I wrote 'our' and not 'my'. I guess you can tell we're related, Sis. If I had realized sooner that someone besides me or Mrs. P. was commenting on our blog, my brain probably wouldn't have computed that either. My typing skills are on par with my speed-reading skills: that's why I "forgo" to welcome you to the blog. That's spelled wrong, whichever way I might have meant it.

    ReplyDelete