Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Go Canadian Bishops!

Pinch me. I must be dreaming. LSN:
In an unprecedented move, Canada’s bishops have put a halt to Development and Peace’s fall education campaign after several bishops refused to allow the materials into their parishes.
The bishops’ beleaguered aid organization was forced to delay its traditional campaign until mid-October for revisions after complaints that it was too politically-focused, reports the Catholic Register’s Michael Swan. According to the news agency, it is the first time the bishops have directly intervened to stop one of D&P’s education campaigns.

"education" [snort] I guess that makes Che an educator too.

This latest intervention from the bishops comes as their official aid organization continues to be dogged by criticisms over its overseas funding partnerships with groups that promote abortion, contraception, and other activities contrary to Catholic teaching.
The bishops had launched a renewal of the organization in 2010 in response to the criticism, but D&P’s leadership has remained intact, they have refused to release a full list of partners, and have continued to partner with questionable groups.
As Ezra says, Fire. Them. All.
.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link. When I first came back to the Church, I joined D&P trying to be all social justice-y and I would even recommend them to the RCIA inquirers I would talk to. Now, I won't even give them money for crisis relief. Who knows where it's going? I feel like I can't even trust my own Church's organizations. Let's hope (and pray) that things are finally changing for the better.

    ReplyDelete